Monday, May 21, 2012

Bloggers' Quilt Festival


Bloggers' Quilt Festival

What better way to meet quilting bloggers than to join in on an Online Quilt Festival!  What a great idea!  When I first saw information about this festival over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict , I didn't know what quilt I should show off.  What better place to start than at the beginning!

A few months ago I was rambling through Etsy when I happened to come across quilts.  They were so beautiful! Each one was a work of art and they were so expensive!   I thought to myself, "I can do that!" I didn't know anything about quilting. NOTHING!  I didn't know about fabric weights or quality, nesting corners, binding, piecing, 1/4" seam allowances, but I was determined to make something beautiful.  My Mama bought me a rotary cutter and I bought a Dresden ruler that came with a pattern and I started cutting and cutting and cutting. I thought I would be cutting for the rest of my life! Then I started sewing and I thought I'd be sewing little petals together forever!  But it was fun!  When Little Ladybug was at school and Little Man took his nap, I'd turn on Murder She Wrote and work on my quilt.

One Saturday afternoon, my five year old Little Ladybug came meandering in my room just as I finished pressing my last Dresden petal.  Her little eyes lit up when she saw all those beautiful little petals.  "Mama! can I help!?" clasping her little hands together.  She was so excited and we had such fun together that afternoon.  She helped me design my flowers, laying them all carefully together.  Telling me which ones should go together.  All my petals were from scrap fabrics I had around the house and were different colors, weights, and textures.  Some matched, some didn't.  I even used fabric from a curtain I had never used. lol

Now when I look at this quilt and wrap it around me, I don't think about the imperfect stitches or the uneven corners. I think about my daughter's sweet little voice and I see the excitement in her eyes, just to spend a little time with Mama.  I'm beginning to realize and appreciate that each quilt has it's very own story.  Sometimes the story is about the quilt and it's beauty, complexity, and/or perfection, and sometimes it's about the events and people surrounding the quilt while it is being made.

Find something that inspires you and then share it...share it with the world.  -Little Mama Hen







36 comments:

  1. It's a lovely quilt. I adore that you and Ladybug made it a together project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. It was such fun to make with her.

      Delete
  2. Quilts hold our memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do! And your Quilt story brought tears to my eyes. so sweet.

      Delete
  3. Oh......I love it!!!! The colors are vibrant! You can feel love just looking at your work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautiful quilt! I can't believe you started your quilting experience with a Dresden plate!! It is a wonderful quilt...but the best part was the input from your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was such a fun afternoon making those little flowers. I'll never forget her excitement!

      Delete
  5. You inspire me! I love you sis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful quilt and especially all the memories it will hold onto.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely story! I love that your daughter was so inspired by your quilt blocks that she wanted to join you. What a treasure you have in that quilt and the many memories you'll have forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are wonderful memories! thank you. :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful quilts I love the colors you put together!!! I only wish I could do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you can! I've seen your handy work! :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. What a precious quilt and a sweet story! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful work! Such a sweet quilt and story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I want to do a bird applique quilt now! Yours is so pretty.

      Delete
  11. What imperfections? Your quilt looks beautiful! And the story was really touching :) What better can you ask for than working on a quilt with your little one? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! very sweet of you to say. Your new posting of the pink and white textured quilt is so inspiring!

      Delete
  12. Um... WOW! That's an amazing first quilt or even a tenth quilt! You and your daughter did a wonderful job and you will both have those memories for a lifetime.

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Its the memories that makes each quilt unique and special. I love your blog!

      Delete
  13. Such a sweet quilt and an even sweeter quilt story! Just lovely! Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great story - I hope you let her have it some day....

    Great quilt - they don't have to be perfect - they just have to be enjoyed and used and loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's my heart! and I'd give her that if she needed it. :) And I love how your quilt is blowing in the wind in your first picture. The angle is so unique! love it.

      Delete
  15. Very very impressive first quilt! Wow - it's stunning. You will be so glad that you let your little daughter help. In years to come when she is older, her input into the quilt will be what makes it extra special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! I will always love her wanting to spend time with me. :) She's such a sweetheart.

      Delete
  16. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. This is such a great first quilt story and I don't see any imperfections. I see you have some cute projects on your blog. I look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! your renaissance fair costume is so lovely! great job.

      Delete
  17. Beautiful work, I always wanted to make a Dresden Plate quilt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love the red and white quilt you have for the Quilt Festival! two color quilts are so elegant. :)

      Delete
  18. I love that your little girl got to share in the making of this quilt. So special. What a beautiful quilt you have made. I love a dresden plate and I really like that you used a dark blue background. Makes it more original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! love your blog! Your yoyo quilt is so pretty. I saw a red and white yoyo quilt a few months ago on pinerest and I've wanted to make one ever since! Yours is so adorable. :)

      Delete

My Best Friend Life is a wonderful opportunity to explore and cling to what makes you happy.  His love is constant and steady, nothing I'...