Saturday, April 21, 2012

OH those Biscuits!!


 In life there is something that each of us are good at or at least passionate about.  It's important to share those skills, perspectives, and/or ideas with others.  Sharing helps us grow, helps us solidify our opinions or perhaps even change our view.   It's ok to agree or even disagree with someone else's perspective/passion.  Acknowledging the importance of 'their' view is the key.

Today I want to share my Biscuit recipe!  It's simple, it's different and you may not want to try it, because it has some different indgredients.  You may be hesitant and say "no no no".  But I promise you that if you don't try it, you'll never like it.  However, if you do, you just might find something new that you like.  A little bit like life.

I love biscuits!  I have spent the last few years perfecting my recipe. When I was little my Grandma use to let me play with a little of the dough while she was making the biscuits.  Maybe this is why I let my three year old Little Man help me.   Making biscuits with, Little Man, has become a tradition.  He loves every part of the process.  A little extra flour on the table and flour don't bother me and it's so worth watching him.   Who knows, maybe one day he'll be a famous chef.  Or at the very least, when I'm old and gray, he'll know how to cook his mama some warm biscuits.


First,  you need the following items:
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsn Sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick - I use smart balance)
1 cup of plain yogurt



Mix flour, salt, baking powder, sugar.   I just mix with a spoon by hand.

Add 6 Tbsp of the butter.  Cut the butter.  *Melt the last 2 Tbsp of butter to pour on the top before you add them to the oven.


If you've never cut butter before, it just means mash it with a fork until there are small pieces throughout the flour.


Add yogurt.



I just stir it with a spoon until it's nice and clumpy.  Sprinkle a little flour on a smooth, clean surface and plop down the clumpy dough.  Sprinkle a little more flour on top. And then pat and form the dough.  Don't over do it here. NO KNEADING! Just pat and form until it's not sticky.

Then, Cut the dough.  Most people probably use a biscuit cutter; however, I have a small coca cola glass that works perfect for my Little Man's hands.  But use whatever you've got.  :)  Place biscuits in an oven safe dish (mine is glass) and add the 2 Tbsp of melted butter on top of the biscuits.  Cook for 16 minutes at 450 degrees.  *Adjust time or degrees according to how your oven heats.



Enjoy!  And remember, life is sweet and too short not to share.  Happy eating.  -Little Mama Hen

Oh, and if you're in the mood for something a little sweeter...I found this recipe over at Food Snots blog.  OMG so good!  I cheated and added some confection icing on top.  I think I probably ate half the pan.  :)

Cinnamon and Sugar Pull Aparts



4 comments:

  1. Those biscuits look yummy!
    Welcome to the NEW Quilter's Blog Linky Party!
    Don't forget add the button so others can find it! Thanks! It is so much fun finding new quilt blogs!
    Share your post at the Minutes for Me Linky Parties too!
    Join in on the fun of May for Me Celebration and add your link there too!
    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia! I will try again to add your button; however, every time I try no picture appears. I tried some other buttons just to see and they worked...grumble)(*&&)& I'll keep at it and get all this blogging figured out. :) Sometimes, I'm a little slow with the Tech stuff. When I first started, I became a member of my own blog by accident! How embarrassing hahahaha. It took me a day or so before I figured out how to delete my name. Thanks again! Quilting is so fun and I love meeting all the new bloggers. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, delicious biscuits!

    ReplyDelete

My Best Friend Life is a wonderful opportunity to explore and cling to what makes you happy.  His love is constant and steady, nothing I'...