Monday, August 13, 2012

Bran Muffin Recipe



I really am amazed how quickly Summer has blazed by!  Little Ladybug starts First Grade next week!!!  Wasn't I just pregnant with her, craving Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream!  Little Man will be with me one more year and then next fall he will start Pre-School!  They are both growing so fast and it is bitter-sweet.

For some reason Boxed Cereal has been a big breakfast item this Summer.  We don't usually eat a lot of cereal, but the kids (and I) have been munching on cereal all Summer and it's been fun.  The cereals I like best are Mini Frosted Wheat, Bran Flakes, and Peanut Butter Captain Crunch. ;)

I like using the Bran Flakes cereal to make Bran Muffins  AND (believe it or not) the kids love the Bran Muffins too!  Now, I'm not so naive to say that these Bran Muffins are Healthy and good for you, BUT they do have some good things in them.

What you'll need:
 
3/4 cup all purpose flour (I use King Arthur unbleached)
3/4 cup wheat flour (King Arthur too)
1 TBSN baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups Bran Flakes (measure 3 cups and then grind them in a blender)
1 1/2 cup milk (I use 2%)
1 egg
1/4 cup butter (I use smart balance)
1 cup of Chocolate Chips (optional)

What to do:

1.  Mix milk and ground bran flakes.  Let them soak up the milk for about 5-10 minutes.  
2.  Add butter, egg, and sugar.  Mix well.
3.  Add salt and baking powder.  Mix well and then gradually add flour.  
4.  Stir in about a cup of Chocolate chips
5.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes in a greased muffin pan.


Enjoy!  -Little Mama Hen

2 comments:

  1. Your recipe is making me hungry! I never eat at night so I really have to control myself!! Thanks for the recipe. I'll try it during the day sometime in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, they are DELICIOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete

My Best Friend Life is a wonderful opportunity to explore and cling to what makes you happy.  His love is constant and steady, nothing I'...