Sunday, August 26, 2012

Little Dresses for Africa - School Colors



Have you heard of Little Dresses for Africa (LDFA)?   Rachel has a Website Here and you can find her on Facebook Here.  LDFA collects simple little dresses and shorts (for boys) from all over the world and hand delivers them to several different countries.

I first found LDFA when I was looking for a simple dress pattern for my daughter - I blogged about it HERE.  I've sewn up a few pillowcase dresses and have donated them to this charity.  It's fun, easy, and such a sweet cause.

A week or so ago, Rachel suggested on her Facebook Page that we (any and everyone) make some little  dresses in our school colors for LDFA.  I thought that was a great idea!  So, off to the fabric store I went and bought some Green and Gold.  When I sat down to start cutting the material, I was suddenly struck with inspiration!

My Niece has a 2 1/2 year old BEAUTIFUL daughter (we call her Lil Queen because she's such a sweet lil Diva!  and she doesn't walk or run, she sorta bounces and tippie-toes) and I've been wanting to make her some summer dresses, but just haven't had time.  Well, I sat down and whipped her out a cute little dress!  It was so fun and easy, I've decided to use this design for my LDFA dresses instead of the traditional pillowcase pattern that I use.  There are no buttons or zippers, so it will be very durable and simple.

As I'm sewing up the dresses, I'll take some photos and share how I made the dress.  I didn't use a pattern, but I was inspired by

From an Igloo's Garden dress and  Prudent Baby's Summertime Jumper.

I hope that you'll be inspired too and make some little dresses for LDFA!  Maybe in your School colors!!

The front has elastic.

The back has a buttonhole that the straps go through for adjusting the length of the straps

Isn't she a doll!  All those little blonde curls!!

Ladybug and MaoMao didn't help with the dresses, but they are just so darn sweet together. She loves that little cat and I love her!

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea to sew for the little girls that need clothes. This dress is adorable - or maybe it's just the little girl with curls! LOL!! Awe! The picture with the kitty and your little girl is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress is so cute! I really would like to sew for charity- I need to check this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this post...your inspiration is amazing and I'm sure little girls will feel so pretty in your dresses!

    ReplyDelete

My Best Friend Life is a wonderful opportunity to explore and cling to what makes you happy.  His love is constant and steady, nothing I'...