Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Hudson Bay Point Quilt

Just getting started on a Point Blanket!
Have you ever heard of the Hudson Bay Point Blanket?  When I was a little girl we called them beaver blankets.  Ours was big and itchy but really warm.

The blankets were very popular for trading during the 18th and 19th century in (what is now) Canada and the United States.  Frontiers men would trade the blankets for beaver pelts (or other furs) from the Native Americans.

There are lots of wonderful websites giving history and stories about the blanket.  Hudson Bay is a company that makes the blankets and there are/were others too.  For more history, a great place to start is Wiki Pedia.

I've been wanting to make one of these for awhile now; I've just been looking for a good excuse to get started.  My wonderful husband loves the outdoors and anything historical.  Last week he mentioned wanting a frontier themed quilt.  My ears perked up and I had just the quilt for him!!  So, off to the fabric store I went and I am loving working on this quilt.   I wanted to replicate the blanket, but still make it very quilty and patchworky. (new and invented words!)

I thought I had an 'Original' idea about turning the famous Blanket into a quilt form, but there are others that have already thought of it and completed some beautiful replicas!  Check them out!

Making Lemonade
Miss Make
I love you Because

He looks so innocent!

Oh, and did you know that sewing, cutting, ironing, and anything to do with quilting is nearly impossible with a little kitten interested in every little string or fabric or movement that you make!  My little MaoMao is so darn cute!  Well, I'm off to play 'Spy kids' with the kiddos and maybe splash in some water puddles!  -Little Mama Hen

Going over to Tea Rose Home and Freshly Pieced and Quilting by the River and Quilt Storyto find some inspiration!

4 comments:

  1. I love the new blanket idea for Scott! It will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mao Mao is getting cuter every time I see her! Love the idea of making a Hudson Bay Point blanket, neat design! Thanks for sharing.
    Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen or heard of these Hudson Bay Point quilts before. Your's is looking very nice so far!! And so it your little MaoMao!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat project, with such interesting history behind it. I look forward to seeing how it progresses!

    ReplyDelete

My Best Friend Life is a wonderful opportunity to explore and cling to what makes you happy.  His love is constant and steady, nothing I'...